Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Wonderful Wordy Wednesday

Last week of the Olympics, although I have been limiting the number of hours I watch. Mostly the recap in the evening. The weather has turned to more pleasant, lower temps and humidity. I got most of the lawn mowed on Monday morning, then rain on Tuesday. So I guess today is the day I need to finish getting the grass down to a reasonable level. 

So my day is computer stuff, reading, lunches out with friends and then TV with Olympics. Oh, plus a bit of knitting, working on my third pink pussy hat!


Charlotte Illes is Not a Detective another person described this book as if we could look in at Nancy Drew if she still did sleuthing as she got older and in the age of social media. While the book isn't really aimed at young adults, I couldn't get into it and didn't read it.

What the Dead Know - very interesting, author was an investigator and administrator for the New York Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) for 22 years. Relates her life including alcoholism, mental health issues, along with the ins and outs of her life at OCME which included processing the 9/11 sites.

Zero Days another page turner from Ruth Ware. Jacintha "Jack" Cross and her husband run a business that tests software and business security for weaknesses. After a routine assignment goes a bit haywire, Jack arrives home to find her husband murdered. Police think Jack did it and she takes off to find the real culprit and why they targeted her husband.

I Know Who You Are written by the investigator who helped identify the Golden State Killer. One of the earliest people who worked at investigative genetic genealogy. Tools in which DNA from crime scenes are uploaded to public genetic databases hoping to find a familial match. Author started more with helping adopted people find birth families. 

On the above, I think it depends on the book. Fiction I don't think you need this stuff. Non-fiction, yes!



All of the above at some point in my life. Current bookmark is the appointment card for my next haircut!


Happy Reading.

6 comments:

  1. I gave Zero Days a four star rating. Think I've read all but two of her books; my first was The Woman in Cabin 10.
    As for bookmarks, I'll grab any piece of paper to hand, although I have a collection of actual bookmarks. This habit failed me once, as I used my library card as a bookmark then returned the book without retrieving it...then I couldn't remember which book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a couple of nancy drew books that belonged to my mom; she’s 87. quite
    a different “cover” from the reprints you see today‼️

    happee week a head dood. N joy ‼️πŸ˜ΊπŸ’™πŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an old leather bookmark I bought in Scotland in the late 80s early 90s. I have others but I always use that one. I never turn a page down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do not dog ear a book, it's abuse! I bought a box of the magnetic bookmarks and use them for everything now.

    Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I typically use a tissue - light, cheap, easily replaced if it gets lost.

    I don't need a table of contents in a fiction book, but I do enjoy books that have all the other things in them.

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad fits about half of those "types of readers", depending on, well, who the heck knows with him. We always enjoy seeing these funny book posts and seeing what you like to read.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, we loves to hear your meows and mews.