Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Wonderful Wordy Wednesday

I had a few more thoughts on how many books I could or should read in a year. Last year was a record, third record year in a row. I looked back at the progression of the total of books I have read since I retired. The overall average is 146, so I figure that is a decent total to aim for. 150 more or less! So less checking out 8-10 books at a time, more like 5-6. I can savor the books more instead of crashing through them. 


Latest lap robe crocheted. Lots of football games so that meant lots of time keeping my hands busy while I watched. Including the Packers losing on Sunday night. I looked at the schedule of games for this weekend, only see one game that really interests me.

More goodies to share on the book front.

The Paris Seamstress a family history stretching from Paris and New York during World War II and today with a descendant today. A few twists and turns in the family tree.

Jackie and Maria by Gill Paul, the author admits she takes some liberties with the truth and the relationship of Jackie Kennedy, Maria Callas and Aristotle Onassis.  

The Watergate Girl by Jill Wine Banks, she was a lawyer hired to be on the special prosecutors team back in 1972. The book is about her time on that team as well as her personal life and other legal positions she has held.

The Maid, imagine being a hotel maid in an exclusive residential hotel and you discover the body of a resident. Who done it? The maid, the wife, the ex-wife? Someone else?

The Great American Recipe Cookbook is based on the PBS show that was on last summer. Not so much a cooking show as a way for them to collect recipes. The people were given themes to cook for. A holiday meal, comfort food, something that reflects your heritage, etc. Most of the recipes where way more complicated than how I choose to cook. Also on the show I thought they did a disservice to the people by not giving them sufficient time to prepare the food. Like one hour to make 10 servings for a holiday meal. And then complaining the food was under cooked!

Claws for Suspicion is the third book in the Catskills Pet Rescue series and was published in 2022.

Little Sister is the latest thriller by Gytha Lodge who manages to keep a police book interesting with lots of plot twists.

Ho-Ho-Homicide is an installment on the Liss MacCrimmons mystery series. I liked it in that she moved the story line forward by about 5 years. So no murders every three months in a little town.

Perversion of Justice, all about Jeffrey Epstein and the reporter who dug into his story of why he got off so easy in Florida the first time. He was a nasty man, preying on young girls. Interesting but can be disturbing to read.

Mary and Lou and  Rhoda and Ted is a book about the Mary Tyler Moore show from the 1970's. The development of the show, casting, the ups and downs of making a show. A favorite show of mine at the time so interesting to look back.


 


Hmm, I don't read in bed. At least not as an adult now. I did as a kid because that was the one place I had privacy and quiet to read. 

Happy Reading. 

3 comments:

  1. #1 agrees that reading should be a pleasure not a speed competition! Still, she wishes she could read a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read in bed every evening before putting out the light - one of my favourite times of the day.

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, we loves to hear your meows and mews.