Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Wonderful Wordy Wednesday

Oohh, the summer solstice is here! So far this summer things have been good weather wise, warm but not hot and not too humid. Perfect by my standards. We need a bit more rain for the farmers, corn may not be knee high by July 4 if we don't get rain. I'm liking not having to mow the lawn every week!

An Inquiry into Love and Death a ghost story on a 1920s college student trying to wrap up her deceased uncles estate.

The Woman in Cabin 10 a journalist is on a luxury cruise and the girl in the next cabin suite vanishes. Things don't seem quite right on this voyage from the UK to Norway.

Playing with Myself a memoir by Randy Rainbow. His childhood and how get got started as an actor and his transition into doing the political videos on line.

Lies My Mother Told Me a book by Joan Rivers daughter Melissa which is thinly written and not very interesting.

The Night Ferry, one of the author's early novels. Involves human trafficking, illegal surrogate pregnancies and people in London, Amsterdam and Afghanistan.

Far Side of the Moon an account of the lives of Frank Borman and his wife Susan. His career in the military and then as an astronaut which culminated in the flight of Apollo 8. Not only on his life but hers as she was the dutiful wife, supporting always positive to her detriment. She developed mental illness, depression and alcohol abuse that resulted in her hospitalization and subsequent recovery. She developed Alzheimer's in her later life as well. The book ends prior to her death in 2021. One of few couples who stayed married in spite of the stress of being a military and astronaut wife.

The First Kennedys is a book detailing the lives of President Kennedy's great grandparents who immigrated from Ireland during the potato famine and then also his grandparents. How they adapted to being in a new environment, how they survived and eventually thrived, in business and politics.




 

At 3.5 hours per week, that is just 30 minutes per day. It is what our library encourages teens and adults to read as part of the summer reading program. Heck, I can on some days read for 3 hours! 

Happy Reading. 

5 comments:

  1. Am a big Ruth Ware fan; "The Woman in Cabin 10" was the first one that I'd read of hers, and I really enjoyed it. She just released a new book yesterday: "Zero Days". It's on my TBR list, but I have to finish my current Sarah J. Maas series before I venture into new-to-me bookland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came from the calling hours for the mother of one of my high school classmates. She was 104 and was still a voracious reader - "a book a day" her "kids" told me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting titles there. Thanks for posting these - I'm going to see if my Library has The Woman in Cabin 10. It peaked my interest. And now I know not to read the Lies My Mother Told Me. I might have picked it up if I saw that one. Have a great reading day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If people who read books do actually live longer, I wonder why that might be so?

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad says he read and enjoyed "The Woman in Cabin 10", and says he wishes he had more time to read every day. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, we loves to hear your meows and mews.