Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Wonderful Wordy Wednesday

First, Happy Purrthday to my darling Ducky. He is 15 years old today. There are days he still plays like a kitten. 


I am on a pace to read about 170 books this year. Lately, with minimal good stuff to watch on TV, I turn to reading. Plus as I write this we are under an air quality alert. Wildfire smoke has made it to the surface so you can smell the smoke. Before this the smoke stayed higher up, so just made the sky hazy. So staying inside and doing inside stuff, like reading and making crochet hats.

Happy half way through the year. A nice big stash, mostly non-fiction in this, plus one new to me author.


MistleToe Murders, this is the new author. A cozy mystery and unlike some others the main character is a married mom of three. I may try a few more of her books, she has 35 in this series so far. In this one she helps track down the person who murdered the owner of the company she works for.

The Best Game Ever is a look at the 1958 NFL championship game between the Baltimore Colts and New York Giants. It was the first sudden death overtime game played in the NFL.

WordSlut is a book written about how words in English have been taken to mean much different things over the years. Often becoming demeaning to women. Interesting to see how word usage changes over time and also how sexist it can be.

How to do Nothing, well I didn't read the whole book. The premise by the author is that we have lost the ability to do nothing. We seemed to be wired now to check our phones, check email etc. No just sitting and enjoying. Listening to birds sing, just chilling without benefit of being productive. Take a few minutes and don't be productive. I like taking time to do nothing.

Lucky Bastard is a memoir by the sports broadcaster Joe Buck. Mildly interesting if you are a sports fan. I can tolerate him, but I don't care for his over talkative football partner Troy Aikman.

Marie Antoinette's World after watching the drama on PBS about Marie Antoinette I wanted to know more. How much in the show actually happened versus added for drama. Plus the remaining episodes won't likely air until next spring!

Wrong Place, Wrong Time is another Andrea Kane thriller and page turner. I read this in one day and stayed up slightly later than usual to finish. Two families intertwined in a mix of power, greed, competitive equestrian show jumping and of course, MURDER! Who done it? Not who I expected!

Incomparable Grace is an overview of President Kennedy's life and with a main focus on the major issues that happened during his presidency.



 





 Happy Reading!

11 comments:

  1. Mark's Mews: Happy 15th Birfday Ducky! And may you have many more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Ducky! Fifteen years old, how can that be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. dood! a most happee 15th two ewe with nother 15 two follow. N joy yur day,
    cauz trubullz, haz fun, eat much perch and heerz two a yeer a head filled with happeez and healtheez πŸŸπŸ’šπŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
  4. 15 Double Pawkisses for a Happy Birthday, sweet, awwdorable Ducky. Hope you have a wonderful dayπŸΎπŸ˜½πŸ’ž

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Ducky!
    And many more....!
    I love the library...any library; I visit many and visit the one's in the town's that I visit too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am able to borrow up to 30 books from the library at any one time - so I don't get to max out my card: I know I'm not going to be able to read that many books in the time allowed!

    I've made a note of the Mistletoe Murder title and will check my local library. An author who's written 35 books in the series is worth looking into.

    Happy happy birthday Ducky. I hope your mum got you some extra special foods today.

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday Ducky!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, we loves to hear your meows and mews.