Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Wonderful Wordy Wednesday

 I survived the holiday weekend. Weather was warm and humid, did a bit of outside stuff and grilled out for lunch on the 4th. The unauthorized fireworks thankfully are minimal and usually end by 11 PM so people can sleep. I pretty much stayed home to avoid any chaos.

As of the end of June I have read 84 books. So about where I wanted to be, maybe a bit more. Thing is, nothing much on TV so it is a great time to read books. Although I have been slacking off a bit the past few days. Only have finished one book so far.


Girls of Flight City fictionalized story of RAF pilots coming to the United States for flight training prior to the US entering World War 2.

Healing written by a nurse who was diagnosed with breast cancer and her journey through diagnosis, treatment and after.

Still Waters the latest of the FBI K-9 books. Our main handler is suspected of murdering a fellow competitor at a search and rescue trial. The lead investigator is a rookie FBI agent who may be in over his head.

In the Shadow of the Glacier set in British Colombia a rookie constable is teamed up to help solve the murder of an American draft dodger. I think it was the writing style but I didn't get into the book and didn't finish it.

The Favor is about women in abusive marriages. Can they somehow do each other a favor so they can get away from their abusers?

Two Nights in Lisbon a man takes his wife on a business trip to Lisbon, then disappears. He's ex-Army, ex-CIA. Is he a spy, a double agent or something else? Kidnapping, blackmail, extortion or just plain ransom? Connections to FBI, CIA and a nominee for vice president of the United States. Very much a page turner.

The Day I Die is written by a cultural anthropologist and explores the system of assisted death in the United States.




 Happy Reading.

 

2 comments:

  1. What I want to know is, why do books recommended by friends/family usually end up in my 'did not finish' column?
    Is it the way they build it up?
    This is why I didn't read 'Outlander' for 20 years...my friend had recommended other books that I disliked, so I ignored Outlander until I tripped across the audiobook on the library's app.
    Just a weirdity, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark's Mews: Loved the "books have no commercials"!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, we loves to hear your meows and mews.