Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Wonderful Wordy Wednesday

Quiet time here at Casa de Ducky. He is checking out my books this week. Probably hoping since I was at the table I had foods he could mooch. Have lots of hummingbirds this summer, I have to put out more sugar water and more frequently than in past summers. I love my hummers! I also notice that early in the mornings I hear less bird song since they aren't singing for a mate!


Swerve or Die is a memoir by NASCAR race driver Kyle Petty. How his famous father, driver Richard Petty, introduced him to the sport. How Kyle competed and then the tragedy of the death of Kyle's son Adam.

How to Be Perfect well, we can't! Author goes into the deep moral and philosophical quandaries that we all find ourselves in. Is it better to do A or B. It may matter on the individual which is better for that person. In many cases the Golden Rule is a good thing, but decide what is best for you and don't judge others on their choices. In many places this book was putting me to sleep, I'm not into deep philosophy! We don't need to be perfect, just good. To ourselves and to others.

Saving Time: Discovering a Life Beyond the Clock. I didn't get into this and didn't read much more than the introduction. It seemed to me more about productivity and time management. The fact that I am retired, I don't have to worry about my time for anyone other than me! Although I remember back when I was working in a medical lab, each month we counted up and then recorded our statistics based on how long the "experts" decide it should take. It was very dependent on how automated the lab was.

Stumbling Around the Bases is a brief account on how Major League Baseball and primarily the American League has messed up time and again over multiple decades when it comes to expansion and getting financially solid ownership. Reading it provided an interesting look into the personalities who were in baseball's drivers seat for decades. 

My memes this week are a bit political, but they speak to truth. 



Happy Reading.

3 comments:

  1. Laz here: TBT has been feeding me tidbits of hid chicken dinner lately. He tosses a bit and I find it great fun. But I want the whole piece soon.

    Which has nothing to do with the books but I just wanted to say that. MOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love our Hummers, too. They are too fast fer us, so we just sit on the deck and admire them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have an interesting collection of books to read.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, we loves to hear your meows and mews.