Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Wonderful Wordy Wednesday

I finished my 100th book of the year this past week, well behind last year's pace, deliberately so. Need to do more than just read in the afternoons. Out getting exercise and stuff. I also noted that this latest batch of book has included more non-fiction than usual. Those are usually slower reads.

Weather continues to be nice, warm and dry. Dry to the point the grass is getting a bit brown and crispy. That means I don't have to mow!


My Name is Barbra is a book in search of an editor who can rein in the author. At nearly 1000 pages it covers pretty much of her entire life, although 90% of the book covers up to 2000 or so. Just 10% of the last portion of her life since. There is a chapter for each of her various movies. If you are a big Streisand fan, you will like this. I just skimmed chapters when she was writing about movies that I had never seen.

Murder Most Royal another installment of the Queen Elizabeth Investigates. Author notes that she was finishing this manuscript just when the Queen died. A severed hand is found near Sandringham and the Queen recognized who it is based on the signet ring. What else can she contribute to solving this crime?

Father and Son is a memoir of the author's stint in rehab after a stroke and a recounting of his father's life during World War II in the English army. The book was more about the father than the son, but it also shed light on what people go through after strokes.

Chinese Menu stories behind some Chinese foods we all love and some I have never heard about. This is a children's book, but it still was fun to read about the foods we eat. Only one recipe included, for Scallion Pancakes. 

Yes! Go to the library. Get out of your house. Turn off the TV. Especially now with all the election hype going on. Just under 7 weeks to election day.

Part of being happy, read, crochet and other stuff. I read an article this past week that arts and crafts can improve your mental health. So escape reality for a while, we all need it!




Out of the 38 I have not done 15 of them. One of them, #15 was waited for book to hit kindle. I took that as just putting a book on hold and being in the 100+ people waiting for it. The longest queue I have been in I was over 300 waiting for Lessons in Chemistry. Then I found it on our lucky day shelf. I've also put a book on hold even before it was released, but it was in the catalog as being ordered. I got to be the first person to check it out!

Happy Reading.

3 comments:

  1. Oh goodness- my dad did get around to reading the entire never have I ever list, but started laughing out loud just as soon as he saw #1. Dad's an early morning reader and mom's a bedtime reader, so after they get into bed, dad often snuggles up to mom's side, nestling his head into her armpit while she holds her book up. It almost never fails that she starts nodding off eventually, usually after dad's already fallen asleep, and the book either lowers slowly until it's resting on dad's head or, more likely, drops on his head, waking him. Anyway, yeah, get out of the house and do something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dood…de grazz iz crunchee brown heer…like toast when ya step on it ‼️‼️😺😺
    yeow….de gurl likez two due coloring for noe strezz…me…eye take a nap ‼️πŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 31 for 38, but I've not threatened an author or even met one in the flesh, but I do get newsletters from dozens of authors.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, we loves to hear your meows and mews.