Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Wonderful Wordy Wednesday

Happy June!

 No actual stacks of books today. I thought I would show you how I keep track of my to be read books. Where I find the books I read. 

I think I mentioned earlier that I don't do GoodReads. I am old fashioned. I keep a list in Word that is currently 8 pages long of stuff I want to read. I update the list as I get the books from the library. I insert the start of the month so I can see how far behind I am from when I added the books to the list. I took the next picture on Sunday, so about 9 months behind! The highlighted ones are those I have put a request to have the item pulled for me.

I have a section for my favorite authors and those I am reading their series. I can go and check to see if they have something new out. 

Plus an area of authors or book series I want to try or have tried and just didn't put them in the month list. If they are highlighted in green I like them, yellow yet to try.

I also took some time this weekend to scrub the list. Checking book descriptions and deciding that maybe I'm not that really interested in the book that I thought might be good a few months ago. Also, I check to see if the book is available through my local library system of 24 libraries. If it isn't available I might just skip the book. Not like I don't have other items to read. Also, I found a few books I had on the list more than once. Don't need to read it twice!

Our library gets this magazine each month. I pick up a copy to see what is new, although not every book they list is a new release. Sometimes I find things, sometimes I don't. But another source to check. I also look at the list of best sellers in the paper or online. Anytime they come out with lists of books to read/buy for presents or beach reads I go through them too. Never know when you might find a good author. I also check out books that people mention to me. 

Also under the previous library director they did a list of books called "Staff Picks" so you could see what the librarians were reading. When she left it stopped. I miss it as I had similar reading tastes to a couple of the librarians. 

Last weekend the Sunday paper had two sections for summer reading. During the week the online New York Times had a section of 88 books in various genre. Here are a some links to various lists.

New York Times  appears you have to be a subscriber to see list. I do have a digital subscription to the NYT.

NPR

Wall Street Journal  appears you have to be a subscriber to see list, currently you can subscribe to the digital version for $4 a month and cancel anytime. I subscribed for now.

Atlantic

 


I also recently discovered the website The Duchess of Cornwall Reading Room. Yes, Camilla! She is an avid reader and there are lots of books here, old and new. I found a few that I might add to my list. She started this during the pandemic to give people suggestions to read to keep themselves occupied.


Summer time is here, outside work to be done but I still take time daily to read. I would rather read than watch TV or a streaming service. I do watch some TV, at this time of year, mostly baseball. Although I did take myself to the movies last week to see the new Downton Abbey movie.

8 comments:

  1. That's interesting! #1 has had good luck with books recommended by The Economist, as well as friends who belong to book groups.

    To answer your question, the movie she went to see in Paris was "The Duke" and it was wonderful!

    Purrs,
    Tama and Benny

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Guest List by Lucy Foley is good.
    I belong to several book groups on FB, and get recommendations for books daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are ambitious ... I once was as well. Now, sadly, I drift off while reading and have slowed down too much. But still struggle through, nothing is better than a good book. Keep on ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure are organized. Mom used to read a lot but somehow has a hard time now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I depend on Goodreads, but hope my account never gets hacked. You are wise to keep track that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, you really are organized, no wonder I don'tt read that much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are incredibly well organized! I, too, am reading less. I follow old favorite authors and see if anything interesting shows up in the Times Book Review.
    I don't see well anymore so do 99% of my reading on a Kindle paperwhite with the font as large as it can be.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, we loves to hear your meows and mews.