Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Wonderful Wordy Wednesday

Getting back on track to reading this week. Busy with a few things and out of town, tip toeing through tulips in Holland Michigan. A friend and I took a three day bus tour to see the tulips and all the other stuff going on for their tulip festival. By the end I was tulip'd out!

A few of my favorites, the number matches the little catalog you get so you can record what you like and then order them. I do need more tulips in my yard!





 The three pictures below are about half of what the farm had planted. Left, ahead and to the right of me. If I remember right they have about a million tulips planted here each  year.




Found this first one the lucky day shelf when in the library for trivia night. It was on my list of books I wanted to read so I picked it up.

During the years 1986-1991 Newman sat down to do extensive recorded interviews with the intent to write a memoir. Also interviewed were family, friends and colleagues. He then shelved the idea, had the audio tapes destroyed. After his death in 2008 over 14,000 pages of transcripts of these interviews were discovered, in the past couple of years also. Then the material sat until his daughters looked to get a publishing deal. FYI, wife Joanne Woodward is still living but has Alzheimer's since 2007. Interesting reading and I have met him back in the 1980's when he would race at Road America.


A View to a Kilt the latest Liss MacCrimmons mystery. A dead man is found in her backyard. It turns out to be her uncle, whom she believed to have been killed in Vietnam before she was even born. Where has he been for 50+ years and why was he back now in his hometown?

In Love: A Memoir of Love and Loss, author tells of her journey with her husband who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and who chose to have accompanied suicide in Zurich Switzerland. The book doesn't make it clear but both parties were in their 60's when this happened.

Finding Me a memoir by Viola Davis. A memoir by the EGOT winner, she concentrates more on her early life and not as much on her later professional life. What occurs in her life to give her the drive to be a successful actor.

The Candy House was a story I couldn't get into, so I didn't finish the book. I guess it is a follow-up to another book which I hadn't read. Bounced around a lot with characters.

The Lioness is a bit of a thriller and page turner. Set in November 1964 a Hollywood star and her new husband go on a safari honeymoon with some friends. Add in some Russian kidnappers and lots of chaos. Each chapter is written in the eyes of one of the main characters. They advance the narrative and reflect back on how their lives have been and how the people know each other.

Portrait of a Thief five Chinese American college students are recruited to help return, by whatever means necessary, five priceless works of Chinese art that were looted or stolen from China by the West. Can these five use their varied skills to complete this tasks? Can they succeed? Will they succeed? What will this mean for their futures? An intriguing tale of art heists and history. 



Happy Reading.


2 comments:

  1. I had "The Lioness" on my TBR list, but just having drilled down that far yet; I've enjoyed the other books that I've read by this author.
    Hope you enjoyed your tulip tour

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, we loves to hear your meows and mews.